Friday, May 21, 2010

Taking Stock, Getting Ready to Say Goodbye

Our faithful friends of the garden are getting ready to say goodbye. My garden peaks in May, so after the Irises fade, there is not much left to look forward to.  The Pitcher Plants will grow bigger, the Liatris will spike up and flop over, the Purple Loosestrife will tower over the garden bench with all it's menace, the Coral Bells will struggle against the aggressive Mint, the native Daylilies will shoot up five foot tall flower stalks, the ornamental Daylilies will put in an appearance, and there are one or two plants whose names I don't remember.  But nothing comes close to the splendor of the spring blossoms.

So I say good bye to these perennial pals:  the purple Iris above...

The Yellow Flag Iris...






















The Japanese Iris...


















The plant which I only remember it's cultivar name: Alba...

























My one Peony boom, although she is just beginning to open, and there is one more on the way....
























But the pond itself remains always, supporting my Koi, Comets, and Shubumkins.  The fish, the fish--it was always about the fish anyway.

Please do continue to visit.  I will continue to post pictures to show the entire life and times of this pond in Virginia!  :-)










2 comments:

  1. Your garden is lovely Sally - I hope the humidity eases so you can go out and enjoy it. Have you ever thought about painting the top fish photo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, this is real time blogging! I have been thinking about painting in the garden--plein air soon, including the koi. These would be very impressionistic works, as I would be attempting to capture the fleeting scenes of light and moving fish! It is a big step to venture outside!

    ReplyDelete